CHALKWELL HALL JUNIOR SCHOOL
Chalkwell Hall Junior School is located at the junction of London Road and Leigh Road in Southend-on-Sea. For full details and a map of how to reach us please see the ‘Contact Details’ page of our website.
The school recognises that many of its students, visitors and staff, whether disabled or otherwise, have individual needs when using school and facilities. However, we also recognise that for some students, the nature of their disabilities may mean that they experience specific difficulties related to accessing education, and the physical environment. As part of the ongoing commitment to the delivery of an inclusive educational service, we will endeavour to ensure that disabled students receive the same standards of education as non disabled students.
In the light of this the school will:
- Inform all staff that our policy for the provision of educational services ensures the inclusion of disabled students. Such communications will address the legal obligation of staff, and the school.
- Provide appropriate disability awareness training for staff, which will explain the school policy towards disabled students and the effective implementation and monitoring of it.
- Address acts of disability discrimination via existing conduct codes, where appropriate.
- Encourage suppliers and contractors, to adopt similar policies towards disabled students.
In order to ensure that the educational services it provides effectively meet the needs of disabled students the school will:
- Consult with disabled pupils, parents, staff and disability organisations.
- Plan to make access improvements to enable disabled people to use its services. Furthermore, the school will effectively communicate their availability to both pupils and staff.
- Regularly review whether its education (and other) services are both accessible and effective, and take appropriate action.
- Monitor the implementation and effectiveness of this policy on a regular basis.
- Operate an accessible complaints procedure whereby disabled people can make improvement suggestions and request assistance.
There is no parking available on site for parents. If any children have specific requirements and require a space to be dropped off please contact the school, although space on site is very limited.
Access into the school for parents and children in the mornings and afternoons, is via a gated entry situated at three points: Sunningdale Road, Leigh Road and London Road. There is level access along the route and the gates are held open.
Access into the school via the main entrance is via double width automatic doors. For security, reception will open the automatic doors for visitors.
Access around the school
The whole school site is located in one building on three levels. There is a step free route through the ground floor of the building.
There is an accessible toilet with disabled facilities on the ground floor for the use of students and staff.
Reviewed January 2017