Year 3 Spring First Half Term 2020 “Who were the ancient Egyptians?”
Year Group Who’s Who (and where to find us)
The Year 3 class teachers are:
3GB –Miss G Brady
3OS – Miss O Sadler
3AH – Mrs A Hagger
3NM – Mrs N Murray
Mr Birkinshaw is Head of Year, and every morning he teaches a maths group and separate phonics/reading skills group. His groups will follow a more personalised curriculum than the rest of the year group. He is available most afternoons by the Y3 classroom doors.
In addition Year 3 are supported by :
Mrs Wheeler (All classes) Mrs Mills (3OS) Mrs Nurbhai (3GB)
Miss Bumbee (3NM) Miss Hyam (3AH)
Through an enquiry-based curriculum we teach Maths and English daily and a range of foundation subjects such as: History, Geography, Computing, PE, Art, RE, PSHE, Music and DT. More details on foundation subjects can be found on Page Two.
Year 3 are grouped by ability for maths lessons, which are timetabled for the first hour and 25 minutes every morning. They are taught in two Challenge Sets, and three Support Sets (including Mr Birkinshaw’s group). All sets are taught the same content, but at different speeds to match the needs of their learners.
This half of term our learning focus is:
- Statistics – Pupils will be drawing picture graphs and bar charts, collecting information and answering questions.
- Fractions – Pupils will be investigating fractions; exploring how to find fractions of shape and number, and comparing and ordering fractions.
Homework will be set every Friday, which may be on paper or through the MyMaths website. Pupils are encouraged to use TT Rockstars at least twice a week for 15 minutes.
English skills will be taught in variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular words.
In addition to the genres below we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension.
Year 3 will be covering the following themes in English for this ½ of term:
- Poetry – based around our topic.
- Adventure stories – based on our topic.
- Newspapers – related to the events surrounding Egyptian archaeological finds.
Spelling homework is set weekly with pupils researching other words that match the rule.
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic
We expect all the children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us, you can do this by:
Organisational aspects –
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent to school via the Sims Agora online payment system
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children may bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
Educational aspects –
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Encourage your child to research other words that match the week’s spelling rules, as well as learning the words sent home
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, ÷, x), learn tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, eg time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made informally at the end of the school day. If you wish to make a longer appointment, please telephone the school office and this can be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
We look forward to an exciting and productive half term!