Year 3 Autumn First Half Term 2020 “The Flintstones – fact or fiction?”
Year Group Who’s Who (and where to find us)
The Year 3 class teachers are:
3NM – Mrs N Murray (Head of Year)
3KB – Miss K Bennett
3OS – Miss O Sadler
3SR – Mr S Robinson
Mrs Haggar will be teaching a maths group and separate phonics/reading skills group, every morning. Her groups will follow a more personalised curriculum than the rest of the year group. She is available most afternoons by the Y3 classroom doors.
In addition Year 3 are supported by:
Mrs Wheeler (All classes) Mrs Mills (3KB) Miss Flewitt (3SR)
Miss Nurbhai (3NM) Miss Hyam (3OS)
Through an enquiry-based curriculum we teach Maths and English daily and a range of foundation subjects such as: History, Geography, Computing, PE, Art, RE, PSHE, Music and DT. More details on foundation subjects can be found on Page Two.
Year 3 will be in mixed ability groups for maths lessons, which are timetabled for the first hour and 15 minutes every morning. We will also be having an additional catch-up maths lesson on a Monday afternoon, when the focus will be on arithmetic.
This half of term we will be covering:
- Place Value – including numbers to 1000
- Addition and subtraction – including column methods with renaming
Year 3 will be covering the following themes in English for this ½ of term:
- Poetry and Drama: Kennings and riddles
- Narrative: Adventure stories
- Non-fiction: Non-Chronological reports (dinosaur fact-files), instructions
In addition to the genres above we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension. Spellings will be sent home weekly (on Fridays) with pupils researching other words that match the rule.
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic
We expect all the children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us, you can do this by:
Organisational aspects –
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent to school via the Sims Agora online payment system
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children may bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
Educational aspects –
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Encourage your child to research other words that match the week’s spelling rules, as well as learning the words sent home
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, ÷, x), learn tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, eg time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made informally via the class email account (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org ). If you wish to make a longer appointment, please telephone the school office and a phone call can be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
We look forward to an exciting and productive half term!
Year 3 Team