Year 4 Autumn Second Half Term 2019 What makes me incredible? –
Year Group Who’s Who (and where to find us)
The Year 4 teachers are:
4SR- Mr. Robinson Come out through 3NM classroom door
4GW- Mrs. Weir (Head of Year) Come out through 3AH classroom door
4AB – Mr. A Baldwin Come out through 3OS classroom door
4TF – Mr T Fletcher Come out through 3GB classroom door
In addition Year 4 are supported by :
Mrs. Parker Mrs. Hendry Miss. Dean
Mrs. Stevens Miss. Barns
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
English skills will be taught in a variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular words.
In addition to the genres below we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension.
Year 4 will be covering the following themes in English for this ½ of the term:
- Poetry – Onomatopoeia
- Stories – Linked to incredible people
- Biographies – linked to incredible people
In addition to the genres above we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension. Spellings will be sent home weekly (on Fridays) with pupils researching other words that match the rule.
Year 4 are grouped by ability for maths lessons, which are timetabled for the first hour and 25 minutes every morning. They are taught in two Challenge Sets, and two Support Sets. All sets are taught the same content, but at different speeds to match the needs of their learners
This half of term our learning focus is:
- Division – using mental and written methods
- Multiplication – using written methods to solve larger multiplication problems.
- Problem solving with multiplication and division
Homework will be set every Friday, which may be on paper or through the MyMaths website.
This half term the children will be studying Scientific Investigative skills, including:
- How to plan, set up and run a fair test
- How to collect and interpret data
- How to make predictions and draw conclusions
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic
We expect all the children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us, you can do this by:
Organisational aspects –
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent to school via the Sims Agora online payment system
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children may bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
Educational aspects –
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Encourage your child to research other words that match the week’s spelling rules, as well as learning the words sent home
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, ÷, x), learn tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, eg time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made informally at the end of the school day. If you wish to make a longer appointment, please telephone the school office and this can be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
We look forward to an exciting and productive half term!