Year 4 Autumn First Half 2020 What makes me incredible? –
Year Group Who’s Who (and where to find us)
The Year 4 teachers are:
4LR – Mrs Robinson
4GW – Mrs. Weir (Head of Year)
4AB – Mr. A Baldwin
4CF – Mr C Fleury
All classes exit through the playground door at the end of the day.
In addition Year 4 are supported by :
Mrs. Parker Mrs. Hendry Mrs Porter
Miss. O’Connell Miss. Barns
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
English skills will be taught in a variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular words.
In addition to the genres below we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension.
Year 4 will be covering the following themes in English for this ½ of the term:
- Poetry – onomatopoeia and list poems
- Stories – linked to incredible people
- Biographies – linked to incredible people
In addition to the genres above we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension. Spellings will be sent home weekly (on Fridays) with pupils researching other words that match the rule, which should be submitted as an assignment on the class Teams page.
For the foreseeable future, maths will be taught within classes with additional support and a wider range of differentiation for reinforcement and challenge tasks. An additional maths session has been timetabled, once a week, to purely focus on arithmetic skills.
This half of term our learning focus is:
- Place value and counting – including thousands, tenths and hundredths
- Addition and subtraction – including 4-digit column methods and problem solving
Homework will be set every Friday through the MyMaths website.
This half term the children will be studying Amazing Bodies – the Human digestive system, including:
- Where does food go inside our bodies?
- Why do we have different types of teeth?
- How is food broken down?
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic
We expect all the children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us, you can do this by:
Organisational aspects –
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent to school via the Sims Agora online payment system
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children may bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
Educational aspects –
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Encourage your child to research other words that match the week’s spelling rules, as well as learning the words sent home
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, ÷, x), learn tables – including use of TTRS for times tables and Numbots for number bonds – and use mathematical skills in everyday life, e.g. time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made through the class email address. If you wish to make a longer appointment, please telephone the school office and this can be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
We look forward to an exciting and productive half term!