Year 4 Spring First Half Term 2022 What did the Romans do for us?
Year Group Who’s Who (and where to find us)
The Year 4 teachers are:
4LR- Mrs. Robinson
4GW- Miss Cutmore
4OS – Miss Sadler (Head of Year)
4CF – Mr C Fleury
In addition Year 4 are supported by :
Mrs. Parker Mrs. Hendry Mrs Pradhan Mrs Schact Miss Dean Miss Flewitt Miss Bumbee
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
English skills will be taught in a variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular words.
In addition to the genres below we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension.
Year 4 will be covering the following themes in English for this half of the term:
- Poetry – Roman poetry
- Narrative – Myths and Legends
- Non-Narrative – Reports
In addition to the genres above we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension. Spellings will be sent home weekly (on Fridays) with pupils researching other words that match the rule.
For the foreseeable future, maths will be taught within classes with additional support and a wider range of differentiation for reinforcement and challenge tasks. An additional maths session has been timetabled, once a week, to purely focus on arithmetic skills.
This half of term our learning focus will be on:
Fractions – equivalence and simplifying
Fractions – addition and subtraction
Homework will be set every Friday, through the MyMaths website.
This half term the children will carrying out investigations and developing scientific skills, including:
– Gathering, recording, classifying and presenting data in a variety of ways to help in answering questions
– Making systematic and careful observations
– Recording findings using simple scientific language, drawings, labelled diagrams, keys, bar charts, and tables
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic
We expect all the children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us, you can do this by:
Organisational aspects –
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent to school via the Sims Agora online payment system
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children may bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
Educational aspects –
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Encourage your child to research other words that match the week’s spelling rules, as well as learning the words sent home
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, ÷, x), learn tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, eg time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made through the class email address.
This term, we are planning an exciting ‘WOW’ day to celebrate our new topic. The date will be confirmed in the new year.
We look forward to an exciting and productive half term!