Year 4 Spring Second Half Term 2021 Can you travel the world in 80 days?
Year Group Who’s Who (and where to find us)
The Year 4 teachers are:
4LR- Mrs. Robinson
4GW- Mrs. Weir (Head of Year)
4AB – Mr. A Baldwin
4CF – Mr. C Fleury
In addition Year 4 are supported by :
Mrs. Parker Mrs. Hendry Mrs. Porter
Miss. Barns Miss. Gilmore
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
English skills will be taught in a variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular works.
In addition to the genres below, we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension.
Year 4 will be covering the following themes in English for this half of the term:
- Poetry – Haiku
- Narrative – Stories with a theme – travel
- Non-Narrative – Diary writing
- Non-Narrative – Persuasive writing
In addition to the genres above we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension. Spellings will be sent assigned weekly (on Fridays) with pupils researching other words that match the rule.
For the foreseeable future, maths will be taught within classes with additional support and a wider range of differentiation for reinforcement and challenge tasks. An additional maths session has been timetabled, once a week, to purely focus on arithmetic skills.
This half of term our learning focus will be on:
Homework will be set every Friday, through the MyMaths website.
This half term the children will be exploring living things, including:
– Sorting and classifying using a sorting key.
– Identifying characteristics of vertebrates and invertebrates.
– Identifying creatures within different habitats.
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic
We expect all the children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us, you can do this by:
Organisational aspects –
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent to school via the Sims Agora online payment system
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children may bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
Educational aspects –
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Encourage your child to research other words that match the week’s spelling rules, as well as learning the words sent home
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, ÷, x), learn tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, eg time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made through the class email address.
We look forward to an exciting and productive half term!