Year 4 Summer 2 2019
‘Southend – What’s the attraction?’ –
Year Group Who’s Who (and where to find us)
The Year 4 teachers are:
4SR – Mr. Robinson Come out through 3NM classroom door
4JW – Mrs. Walkom (Head of Year) Come out through 3AH classroom door
4JT – Mrs J Thompson Come out through 3GT classroom door
4TF – Mr T Fletcher Come out through 3GB classroom door
In addition Year 4 are supported by:
Mrs Beck Miss Murray
Mrs Hendry Miss Sullivan
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
Year 4 are grouped by ability for maths lessons, which are timetabled for the first hour and 25 minutes every morning.
They are taught in two Challenge Sets, and two Support Sets. All sets are taught the same content, but at different speeds to match the needs of their learners
This half of term our learning focus is:
- Areas of Figures
- Position and Movement
- Roman Numerals
Homework will be set every Friday, which may be on paper or through the MyMaths website. Children are also expected to spend time on TT Rockstars.
English skills will be taught in variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular words.
Year 4 will be covering the following themes in English for this ½ of term:
- Poetry – based around vocabulary generation, list poems & onomatopoeia
- Story writing – based around a superhero theme
- Reports and Explanations – based around superheroes and incredible people
Our Focus Author for this half term is E.B.White.
Spelling homework is set weekly with pupils researching other words that match the rule.
This half term the children will be studying Electricity and Classification (plants and invertibrates).
We teach a range of subjects through our Creative Curriculum approach including:
- Art- Comparing modern day and classic artists
- DT- food design/decoration
- Computing – Spreadsheets
- RE & PSHE – Moral issues. Self-confidence and body awareness
- PE – Cricket and athletics
- Geography- map work, knowledge of the world
- Music – playing instruments, understanding musical terminology and notation
Please click on the homework tab on the school website for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic
We expect all the children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us, you can do this by:
Organisational aspects –
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is paid through the SIMs Agora website or sent into school on Monday in a labelled envelope;
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children may bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
Educational aspects –
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult.
- Encourage your child to research other words that match the week’s spelling rules, as well as learning the words sent home.
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, ÷, x), learn tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, eg time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made through the home/school diary or informally at the end of the school day. If you wish to make a longer appointment please telephone the school office and this can be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
The Year 4 Team