Year 5 Summer First Half Term 2021 “Can a picture paint a thousand words?”
Year Group Who’s Who (and where to find us)
The Year 5 class teachers are:
5JW – Mrs J Walkom (Head of Year) 5AF – Mr Fleming
5JT – Mrs J Thompson 5GB – Miss Brady
5SH – Mr S Halsall
In addition Year 5 are supported by :
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
Through an enquiry-based curriculum we teach Maths and English daily and a range of foundation subjects such as: History, Geography, Computing, PE, Art, RE, PSHE, Music and DT.
For the foreseeable future, maths will be taught within classes with additional support and a wider range of differentiation for reinforcement and challenge tasks. An additional maths session has been timetabled, once a week, to purely focus on catch-up for the areas of maths missed in Year 4 and to reinforce topic taught through remote learning during the Spring Term.
- Position and movement
- Area and perimeter
In addition to the genres above we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension. Spelling homework is sent home weekly.
- Poetry – Narrative poetry
- Fiction – Traditional tales from around the world
- Non-fiction – Persuasive writing (holiday brochures)
This half term the children will be developing their scientific skills through studying Everyday Materials.
This is all about exploring materials and learning about their properties and what we use them for with lots of opportunities to investigate which materials are best suited for different jobs.
Our Foundation Studies will include:
- Art – observational drawing: perspective, plan view and elevations and monoprint
- Computing- 3D printing
- Music – music appreciation
- E- Athletics and Rounders
- E – Hinduism
- Geography – using maps, atlases and globes. Difference between human and physical geography.
Please click on the homework tab on the school website for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic
We have high expectations for the children and hope that you will continue to support us by ensuring the following…
Organisational aspects –
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent into school on Monday in a labelled envelope;
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children may bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
Educational aspects –
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Encourage your child to research other words that match the week’s spelling rules, as well as learning the words sent home
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, ÷, x), learn tables (TT Rockstars)
and use mathematical skills in everyday life, eg time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made through the class email. If you wish to make a longer appointment, please telephone the school office and an appointment will be made at a mutually convenient time. Please remind your children that they can contact their class and teacher directly through Teams – on the General page, Chat Space or the individual chat with their teacher.
The Year 5 Team