Year 6 Spring First Half Term 2022
The Year 6 teachers are:
Class 6AD – Mrs Dubouchet (Head of Year)
Class 6RM – Mr Maskell
Class 6DS – Mr Smale
Class 6HW – Miss Winders/Mrs Harris
Class 6TF – Mr Fletcher
In addition, Year 6 is supported by:
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
Our topic for this half term will be ‘Does the crime fit the punishment?’
Through an enquiry-based curriculum, we teach Maths and Literacy daily and a range of foundation subjects such as History, Science, RE, Spanish, PE, PSHE, Music and DT.
For the foreseeable future, Year 6 have 2 parallel challenge sets and 1 middle set and 2 parallel support sets, which are timetabled for the first hour every morning. There is also an additional hour of arithmetic skills on a Monday afternoon.
- Solve problems involving the calculation of percentages [for example, of measures, and such as 15% of 360] and the use of percentages for.
- Recall and use equivalences between simple fractions, decimals and percentages, including in different contexts.
- Work out calculations where there is an increase or decrease of a percentage.
- Solve problems involving the relative sizes of two quantities where missing values can be found by using integer multiplication and division facts
- Solve problems involving similar shapes where the scale factor is known or can be found
- Use simple formulae
- Generate and describe linear number sequences
- Express missing number problems algebraically
- Find pairs of numbers that satisfy an equation with two unknowns
- Enumerate possibilities of combinations of two variables
Homework will be set every Friday through the MyMaths website. We also expect children to use TTRockstars at least three times a week
English skills will be taught in a variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular words.
In addition to the genres below, we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension.
Year 6 will be covering the following themes in literacy for this half term:
- Slow Writing
- Ghost Stories
- Balanced Arguments
Our foundation subjects will include:
- Science – Body Pump
- DT – Kapow (Sewing)
- Computing – Sketch Up
- RE – Hinduism
- History – Crime and Punishment through the Medieval Ages
- PE – Get Set for PE
- Music – Boomwhackers
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic.
We expect all children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us; you can do this by:
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent into school on Monday;
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children my bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, x, ÷), learn times tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, e.g. time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made through the school email address or informally at the end of the school day. If you wish to make a longer appointment, please telephone the school office and this can be arranged at a mutually convenient time.