Year 6 Autumn Second Half Term 2019
The year 6 teachers are:
Class 6AF – Mrs Fox (Head of Year)
Class 6RM – Mr Maskell
Class 6SH – Mr Halsall
Class 6AD – Mrs Dubouchet
Class 6RW – Miss Winders
In addition, Year 6 is supported by:
Mrs Mepham Mrs Newell
Mrs Farrell Miss Bumbee
Miss Flewitt Miss O’Connell
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
Our topic for this half term will be ‘Can you find light in the darkness?’ Through an enquiry based curriculum we teach Maths and Literacy daily and a range of foundation subjects such as: History, Geography, Computing, PE, Art, PSHE, Music and DT.
Year 6 have 2 parallel challenge sets and 3 parallel support sets, which are timetabled for the first hour every morning and on a Monday afternoon. This half term our learning focus is:
- Use common factors to simplify fractions; use common multiples to express fractions in the same denomination
- Add and subtract fractions with different denominators and mixed numbers, using the concept of equivalent fractions
- Reading and writing decimals
- Dividing whole numbers
- Writing fractions as decimals
- Multiplying and dividing by decimals
- Multiplying and dividing a decimal by a 2-digit number.
Year 6 will be covering the following themes in literacy for this half term:
- Slow Writes
In addition to the genres above we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension through sets.
Our foundation subjects will include:
- Science – Light up the World
- Art – Still Life drawing
- Computing – Sketch Up
- RE – Islam
- Geography – Biomes
- PSHE – Going on and falling out
- Music – Music Theory
- Indoor PE – Real PE – seated volleyball
- Outdoor PE – Hockey
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic.
Homework can be submitted via email to email@example.com.
We expect all children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us. You can do this by:
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent into school on Monday;
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children my bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, x, ÷), learn times tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, e.g. time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made through the home/school diary or informally at the end of the school day. If you wish to make a longer appointment please telephone the school office and this can be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
We look forward to an exciting and hardworking year.
The Year 6 team