Year 6 Summer First Half Term 2021
The year 6 teachers are:
Class 6AF – Mrs Fox (Head of Year)
Class 6RM – Mr Maskell
Class 6DS – Mr Smale
Class 6AD – Mrs Dubouchet
Class 6TF – Mr Fletcher
In addition, Year 6 is supported by:
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
Our topic for this half term will be ‘What makes a discovery?’
Through an enquiry based curriculum we teach Maths and Literacy daily and a range of foundation subjects such as: History, Science, Geography, Computing, PE, Art, PSHE, Music and DT.
For the foreseeable future, maths will be taught within classes with additional support and a wider range of differentiation for reinforcement and challenge tasks. An additional maths session has been timetabled, once a week, to purely focus on arithmetic skills. Our focus for this half term will be:
Geometry: Properties of Shapes:
- Draw 2D shapes using given dimensions and angles
- Compare and classify geometric shapes based on their properties and sizes and find unknown angles in any triangles, quadrilaterals and regular polygons
- Recognise angles where they meet at a point, are on a straight line, or are vertically opposite, and find missing angles
- Use simple formulae
- Generate and describe linear number sequences
- Express missing number problems algebraically
- Find pairs of numbers that satisfy an equation with two unknowns
- Enumerate possibilities of combinations of two variables
Homework will be set every Friday through the MyMaths website. We also expect children to use TTRockstars at least three times a week
English skills will be taught in a variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular words.
In addition to the genres below, we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension.
Year 6 will be covering the following themes in literacy for this half term:
- Explanation texts
Our foundation subjects will include:
- Science – Electricity
- Art/ DT – Kapow – Perspective Drawing
- RE – Humanism
- Geography – Local Study
- PE – Get Set for PE
- Music – Body Percussion
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic.
We expect all children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us; you can do this by:
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent into school on Monday;
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children my bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, x, ÷), learn times tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, e.g. time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made through the home/school diary or informally at the end of the school day. If you wish to make a longer appointment please telephone the school office and this can be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
The Year 6 team