Year 6 Autumn Second Half Term 2020
The year 6 teachers are:
Class 6AF – Mrs Fox (Head of Year)
Class 6RM – Mr Maskell
Class 6DS – Mr Smale
Class 6AD – Mrs Dubouchet
Class 6TF – Mr Fletcher
In addition, Year 6 is supported by:
Mrs Newell Miss Sullivan
Mrs Farrell Miss Gilmore
What will we be learning about in school this half term?
Our topic for this half term will be ‘What makes Britain a diverse and multicultural country?’
Through an enquiry based curriculum we teach Maths and Literacy daily and a range of foundation subjects such as: History, Geography, Computing, PE, Art, PSHE, Music and DT.
For the foreseeable future, maths will be taught within classes with additional support and a wider range of differentiation for reinforcement and challenge tasks. An additional maths session has been timetabled, once a week, to purely focus on arithmetic skills. Our focus for this half term will be:
- Use common factors to simplify fractions; use common multiples to express fractions in the same denomination
- Add and subtract fractions with different denominators and mixed numbers, using the concept of equivalent fractions
- Reading and writing decimals
- Dividing whole numbers
- Writing fractions as decimals
- Multiplying and dividing by decimals
- Multiplying and dividing a decimal by a 2-digit number.
Homework will be set every Friday through the MyMaths website. We also expect children to use TTRockstars at least three times a week
English skills will be taught in variety of ways, including specific lessons and through cross-curricular words. In addition to the genres below we teach regular spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons and reading comprehension.
Year 6 will be covering the following themes in literacy for this half term:
- Setting and character description
Spelling homework is set weekly with pupils researching other words that match the rule: these will be practiced throughout the week in class.
Our foundation subjects will include:
- Science – Light
- Art – traditional art from different cultures
- RE – Islam
- History – The Atlantic Slave Trade
- PE – Real PE and hockey
- Music – Boomwhackers
- PSHE – Getting on and falling out
Please click on the homework tab for our homework policy and suggestions for creative homework tasks for this topic.
We expect all children in this year to work hard. We have high expectations and hope you will support us, you can do this by:
- Ensuring that your child is at school on time and dressed appropriately;
- Dinner money is sent into school on Monday;
- Make sure that your child has a PE kit which is clearly labelled;
- All children my bring a healthy snack;
- Encourage your child to be prepared for the school day with the correct equipment.
- Ensure your child reads every single day for at least fifteen minutes, preferably to an adult
- Mathematics, encourage your child to practise the 4 operations (+, -, x, ÷), learn times tables and use mathematical skills in everyday life, e.g. time and money.
Communication with your child’s class teacher can be made via the class email address. If you wish to make a longer appointment, please telephone the school office and this can be arranged at a mutually convenient time
We look forward to an exciting and hardworking year.
The Year 6 team